Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm gorging on dinner

when I should be studying.. which will come soon. After I socialize my pet rat (I got her yesterday! Adopted her from our handling lab. Her name is Gringa.. guess what color she is?) and finish up my Halloween costume. We have some sort of vet school Halloween party tomorrow night at a bar (surprise), one of the few places to socialize in Davis. I think this is because we probably all have exams on Monday.

Halloween costume = Gogo from Kill Bill. I bought a ball and chain and have to glue a plastic spike bracelet on it and spray paint it silver. I guess if I ever decide to go to Anime Expo I won't need a costume. My blonde friend is going to be Uma Thurman's character, whose name escapes me right now.

This Monday was the first Monday we didn't have an exam. I get a break, right? No, that means next week I have 2 exams, as well as the week after. I'm getting my ass kicked in everything and I'm still adjusting to the fact that everybody is a goddamn overachiever. Everyone is pretty cool though! They've drilled into our heads that we should adjust from "competition to collaboration" and everybody emails the entire class if they've found a study guide of some sort. Of course, there's no curve on any of the classes other than epidemiology, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just wait until we all start killing each other for internships.

I sound so negative! I love vet school. I was on campus Monday from 10AM - 10PM.. we get a lot of free food if we go to meetings/talks, but after a while one gets tired of pizza. Anyway, I was on call at the barn and a really nice student nurse was walking me through the steps, so I did some treatments with her. We changed the IV fluids for a cow that had an infected uterus (metritis?), which get this - was basically adding a bunch of electrolytes to one of those giant 5 gallon Arrowhead jugs. There was also a goat getting a blood transfusion so I helped her get a TPR (temp, pulse, respiratory rate). It's SO hard to find a heart beat on a goat - I felt like an idiot. What is cool about goats is that they are ruminants, so they have the 4 stomach chamber like a cow and if you place a stethoscope over it, it sounds like thunder rumbling. Then we did some treatments for a calf (I had NO idea that baby cows were so cute) and she has suspected Salmonella, so I had to put plastic covers over my boots and get into some sheer version of a spacesuit. Stuck around for a bit and she showed me a cow with a hole in its side (for rumen fluid transplants and for learning) and another crazy cow that is used to breed bucking bulls!! She was SO MEAN. I don't know how to deal with charging angry cows.

Played ultimate frisbee this afternoon.. somehow I ended up captain of our IM team but I'm a figurehead - I just send out emails and get people to meet up for practice. We've been getting clobbered since we're all beginners and people play in the league that are way too good.

Anyway I don't know if I make sense. I'm leaving so much out! ahhh!!!

4 comments:

A9SecondSleeper said...

YES! I KNEW THEY EXISTED - COWS WITH SIDE DOORS!

meltang said...

i see you're still gorging on dinner

Kim possible said...

^ HAHA

Anonymous said...

stop...gorging. my god...you fatass.