Friday, August 5, 2011

Let's see how long this lasts

I think reading other people's blog posts and the fact that I barely keep in touch with people (those who may or may not be reading this) have inspired me to start this up again.

Currently, I'm in SD for a month to do an ER externship at a 24 hr emergency/specialty hospital where I used to volunteer at (www.pescsandiego.com). This means I work really strange hours and see a lot of weird/cool shit. I'm sitting in a cafe right now and there are three old guys playing saxophone, bass, and cello. Live music kind of rocks, even though this overpriced toffee coffee blender or whatever tastes like crap. I think when I told the guy I wanted half the amount of sugar they usually put into this drink, he thought that I meant add more poorly blended ice.

I'm renting out a room from a wife, husband, and their 3 year old kid. The wife also works at the clinic as a receptionist. I think the moment I realized I liked her was when I mentioned one of the doctors and she called him an idiot. There is something to be valued in being frank. They have 6 cats, 2 dog, 1 snake, and fish. And a child. I have a hard time remembering the cats' names so I just make up names for them in my head. One is Bengal because he looks like one (super pricy fancy shmancy breed of cat: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/images/Silver%20Bengal%20Kittens.10-08%20%28Small%29.JPG), one is Fatty because I think she's at least 15 pounds (she looks bizarre because she has a tiny head), one is Hitler because he looks like has a moustache. There's also an outdoor cat who greets me everytime I get out of my car. He's so thin and decrepit looking that I automatically think "cancer" but that's not very nice of me. The kid is effing cute and wouldn't stop talking to me. My landlord thought it was weird because she's apparently shy usually.. the fat cat also lets me pet her and normally only lets the landlord and her sister pet her. The dogs are batshit insane and one is this 60-70 lb pit bull who kept jumping on me and if I haven't been working out lately I'm fairly certain she could have knocked me over.

It's hard to keep up with my half-marathon training. I had a perfect route in Davis and I knew exactly how far I was running and what my typical time was. In LA I had some trouble finding a route and I loathe the treadmill with a passion. Anyway, I went for a run on Blacks Beach yesterday and was surprised that it was still a nude beach. I was already wearing less than I usually do while running - a bikini top with shorts which I thought 1) I could get away with because it was the beach 2) I want a more even tan. I think most of the people there were gay because I saw a gay pride flag stuck in the sand and I was almost 100% sure that the two guys I talked to were gay. One was very much naked and went up to me and starting talking about a run that he did yesterday. It surprisingly was not that awkward. Also, 95% of the nude people I saw I felt like should not have been naked - you know what I mean if you have ever gone to the local gym in Arcadia. Anyway, I was trying to find a trail with steps up from the beach to the cliffs to the main road that Danny and I had found our freshman year. When I asked some people I realized that I was about twice the distance away from where I thought it was, although I distinctly remember when I had done the trail previously that it was REALLY far away. Good to know I'm in more shape than my college freshman self. One of the best workouts I've had in a long time though, in terms of how I felt afterwards - I was super happy. How sad to think that I didn't take advantage of this more when I was in the area.

Here's another good workout: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/04/11/hard-bodies-getting-harder-workout/
Her workouts are super awesome because they basically work out your entire body. Some of the exercises seem crazy but she's super encouraging and oftentimes I even end up surprising myself with what I can do. She's also a super sweet person and talks about a lot of issues like trying to get your parents healthier and in shape, changing your mindset about what you can accomplish, etc. There are also tons of things for beginners too! I think it's a pretty healthy way to get in shape, especially for busy people because the longest workout I've seen was maybe 30 minutes tops. She also never says bullshit crap like how you have to be super skinny and eat celery all day. I think what made me super happy was that she has a "cheat day" every week and eats a ton of stuff. At first I saw pictures of bowls of cherries and I was thinking "psh, that's hardly a cheat day" and then I saw a giant dish of steak, potatoes, etc.

Anyway, tonight is my second shift.. update more on that later.

No comments: